Human Rights in Tibet News: March, 2018

Arbitrarily Detained Monk Sentenced to Five-Years

Lobsang Sangay, a 36-year old monk from Kirti Monastery has been sentenced to five years. The initial report on Lobsang Sangay's sentence came from Tibet Times, a

Dharamshala-based Tibetan press, which reported that he was sentenced on 28th of this month by the Barkham (Chinese: Ma'erkang) People's court in Ngaba Prefecture, allegedly

for political and self-immolation related issues. Lobsang Sangay was arrested on 14 August, 2012 and three days later, his roommate at the monastery, Lobsang Kunchok was also

arrested. Lobsang Sangay was rearrested in 2017 after which he remained in secret detention for more than seven months. Read more here (in Tibetan).

Villagers Protest Chinese Mining Project, One Detained

Tibetan villagers of Driru County in Nagchu prefecture protested Chinese authorities' mining project at Sertra Dzagen, a mountain sacred to local Tibetans. Chinese

authorities have reportedly forced Tibetan residents to agree to the project, while a man named Karma is reported to have been detained, according to Radio Free Asia. Karma

is the head of Markor village, who refused to sign his approval for the mining to proceed until the local Chinese officials produce authorization from higher authority. Read

more here.

Tibetan Writer Shokjang Released After Three Years in Chinese Prison

High-profile Tibetan writer and blogger Shokjang, who was sentenced for “criticizing China’s repressive policies” in his writings, has been released from Chinese prison after

completing his sentence term. According to various news reports, Shokjang was released on 19 March 2018.

Druklo, who is popularly known by his penname Shokjang, was arrested and detained on 19 March 2015 by Chinese police in Rebgong (Ch: Tongren) county, Malho prefecture. On 17

February 2016, the Malho People’s Intermediate Court in Rebgong sentenced Shokjang to three years’ imprisonment term on the charges of “inciting separatism” and “disturbing

social stability”. Read more here.

Two Monks Detained, Another Released after 10 Years in Prison

Chinese police have detained two monks from Wopo Monastery in Sershul County, Kardze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture on separate instances. According to RFA report, Lobsang

Lhundrub was arrested on March 9 with further details unknown, while the second monk, named Choechok was arrested on December 25. It is not known why Choechok was taken in


Meanwhile, Lodroe, also a monk of Dza Wonpo Monastery, has been released from prison on March 12 after completing a 10-year sentence term for his participation in the March

2008 uprising in Lhasa. Lodreo was reportedly "carrying Tibetan national flag and calling out for freedom for Tibet when he was arrested". Two more Wonpo monks Sonam Drakpa

and Dashar were sentenced to 10 years in prison along with Lodroe but they have not been released yet.  Read more here.

Tibetan Nomad Dies in Self-Immolation Protest

Just ahead of the Tibetan National Uprising Day, a sensitive day to commemorate the 10th March 1959 uprising in Lhasa, a Tibetan man self-immolated in Ngaba County. Tsekho

Tugchak, a nomad in his 40s, died after setting himself on fire on March 7 protesting against the Chinese government. He called out. "Long live His Holiness the Dalai Lama

and freedom in Tibet," according to sources. Tsekho is survived by his two daughters, wife, and his mother. Read more here and here.